Will this be your first American Thanksgiving ever? Are you trying to read recipes in English when English isn’t your first language? Or maybe, is this the first time that you’re in charge of cooking Thanksgiving dinner? I’d like to clarify something….
Laura and I have been posting loads and loads of different recipes, but remember that you don’t need to cook everything that we’ve posted about! We thought we’d share what a typical Thanksgiving dinner looks like in our family tradition.
You can find most of the following recipes under this category: Thanksgiving. Click on that link to look at them all.
- Some kind of appetizer: Crackers and cheese
- Turkey: Grilled or roasted with gravy
- Sweet Potatoes
- White Potatoes
- Green Vegetables: broccoli with cheese sauce or green bean casserole
- Bread or Rolls with butter
- Stuffing (also called Dressing in some parts of the country)
- Cranberry sauce or relish (this seems to be more tradition than taste; I don’t know very many people who are enthusiastic about cranberry sauce but it shows up on most tables at Thanksgiving.)
- Dessert: Pumpkin and/or apple pie with whipped cream
We realized this morning that if someone attempted to make all the holiday dishes that we’ve listed, they’d be cooking all the way through Christmas.
Really, the most important item to bring to the Thanksgiving table is a thankful heart for all the good gifts that God gives us.