I’m always happy to find recipes that are no-egg and dairy-free recipes. This recipe happens to be an old friend too, which makes it even nicer.
Years and years ago my mom made something called Crazy Cake. Yesterday a good friend shared something that she called Goofy Cake. To my delight, Goofy Cake turns out to BE Crazy Cake. I’m tickled to have found this recipe because it IS dairy-free and egg-free. It’s good to have a recipe on hand that can feed folks who can’t have those ingredients for health reasons.
Crazy Cake aka Goofy Cake
- 3 c. flour
- 7 T. Powdered Baking Cocoa
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 T. vinegar
- 2 t. baking soda
- ½ c. plus 2 T. Oil
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 c. water
1. Sift together all dry ingredients in pan to be baked in (do not need to spray pan first). I use a 9×13 inch glass baking pan.
2. Make 3 wells in the dry mixture.
3. Pour vinegar in first well, salad oil in second well, and vanilla in third well.
4. Pour 2 cups cold water over everything and stir.
5. Bake 350°F for 35 minutes.
As usual, I’m always looking for variations on this that make a dish MINE… One of my friends told me that she always substitutes 2 c. of cold coffee for the 2 c. of water. That got me thinking about what else I could use instead of water. I’m going to try this with apple juice.
This is a great recipe to make when you have a dessert emergency!