The recipe for these rich, sweet cookies came from my friend, Virginia. This recipe makes a HUGE batch of cookie dough and can be cut in half if you don’t have a big enough bowl. I’m not exactly sure what the name, Buffalo Chip, refers to and I’m a little nervous about asking too many questions!
These giant cookies make good little thank-you gifts if you wrap one or two up in plastic wrap and tie them off with a bright Christmas bow.
Buffalo Chip Cookies
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In an oversized mixing bowl cream together:
- 1 c. butter
- 1 c. solid shortening (I will use butter instead of Crisco next time)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 c. flour
- 2 t. baking boda
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 c. coconut
- 1 c. chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts, but pecans would also work well)
- 12 oz. bag chocolate chips
- 12 oz. bag peanut butter chips
- 2 c. Rice Krispies (or other light, crunchy cereal with small pieces)
- 2 c. oatmeal
Drop balls of 1/4 c. dough onto the ungreased cookie sheet. (As always, I use baking parchment and this makes a world of difference.) These will be very large cookies so you’ll only put about six per cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 12 minute. The cookies will be brown around edges and soft in the middle.